Monday, November 5, 2012

Checking In: Just a quick post tonight, but thought it would be courteous to let folks know what my first chemotherapy session today was like. The total time was longer than I was anticipating; got there at 10:45 AM, the process began not long before noon and I left around 3:30 PM. So around four hours for the actual chemotherapy, give or take. This is going to be a typical session for me, I'm told. I brought a book and an MP3 player, both of which helped some, but still...ZZZzzzz...

The list of side effects of the various chemo drugs is huge; I won't give you the run down, but fatigue is among the most common symptoms and is to be expected. I do feel a bit tired, but considering that I woke up a couple hours earlier than I usually do and sat in a recliner ("THE COMFY CHAIR!!") for a few hours this afternoon, I feel pretty good. Human, even. One drug in particular has a number of odd effects (5-flourouracil, colloquially known as 5-FU...insert your own joke here) and I do notice one of them: drinking cold liquids feels a bit like swallowing gravel.

Say "hello" to my little friend
I was given a small pump attached to the port in my chest to take home with me. This will be removed on Wednesday and I'll be free and clear until the 19th, when the process is repeated. Currently, I'm wearing it about my neck. It's a bit of a nuisance, really, but an acceptable one under the circumstances.

Found out that I had a misconception or two about the nature of the port. It's meant to reside beneath the skin and isn't exactly a hollow receptacle but a small bubble of silicon through which is pushed a needle connected to an IV. The needle is curved and sheathed within a small bit of tubing about a half an inch long. This in turn connects with the tubing in my chest (again, slightly graphic, so you've been warned). The nurse suggested that I shave the rest of the hair off for next time to aid in the easier removal of the tape on Tuesday, "unless you're into that sort of thing." Well, they don't call me "Kinky Tom" for nothing.

Was it easier than I anticipated? Yes, a little. Was it quicker than I was expecting? No, not by a long shot. Don't know where I got the idea that only the first session would be a long one, but as I mentioned, they're all going to be about the same length of time. My book and music selections will be better organized on the 19th.

Tuesday afternoon update: Still having the gravelly sensation when I drink cold liquids. Have felt flushed since 9:00 AM but the condition has since lessened. Called about it and the nurse told me that it was likely due to the steroid I was given prior to the administering of the chemo drugs (it's among the host of drugs I'm given beforehand; anti-nausea drugs, Benadryl, a steroid, absinthe, saltpeter, a bit of heroin, fermented cat urine, etc.). A touch fatigued, but as expected. Went to the market and elsewhere this morning and chased my neighbor's dogs this afternoon so it's not like I'm a complete invalid. Here's hoping the rest of the treatments go as smoothly.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I guess I'll tip a glass of saltpeter back and wish you luck with your future port insertions. Fermented cat urnine?? Well, now, I think that might draw a line.

Unknown said...

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it...

Post a Comment