Sunday, October 14, 2012


Last Friday: As you likely suspect, the meeting with the oncologist was a bit sobering. Talked about the types of chemotherapy and its effects and side effects, installing a port in my chest, the possibility of clinical trials, scheduling a PET scan (which will be next Thursday), etc. I was also assigned a patient “advocate” (a young woman who happens to be a cancer survivor), basically someone to talk with during my visits, which was a comfort.  She suggested attending support group which starts on the 22nd; I plan on going.

Other than that, I'm keeping active by doing a lot of outside walking (the local alpacas are more curious about pedestrians than I'd thought they'd be) and some Fall clean-up on the property; was even able to convince Dad to stretch his legs a little yesterday (he walked about 0.8 mi, down to the second side street on Lawrence). Hope to start posting some pictures by next week.

Recent movies: “The Mosquito Coast” (liked), “Beyond the Black Rainbow” (loathed), “Snow White and the Huntsman” (liked).

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm glad that they have such a thing as a patient "advocate".

And I saw 'Snow White and the Huntsman' too, I also liked.

Unknown said...

Re: "advocate": Both the concept and the person herself are pretty cool.

Re: "Snow White": I thought the ending was a little conventional but the rest of it made up for the typical "big Hollywood finish". But maybe that's just me.

Post a Comment