Saturday, October 27, 2012

Country Living: There are many aspects of living out in the boondocks that I like (e.g., not having to deal with noisy neighbors) but some aren't so great (e.g., the distance from civilization). One of the biggest irritations is the occasional power outage we get during the fall and winter months and last night was the first of the season. We had seven hours without power, from about 5:00 PM to midnight; doesn't sound like much but it gets under my skin when it happens (truth be told, it really pisses me off).

Last week was another kooky one. I'd just sat down to catch up on some correspondence from the past few days when the blackout hit, so if you're waiting for a reply from me, mea culpa. I promise I'll try to respond before the weekend's over.

Some Spooky Guy: Here's a photo of me that I took accidentally when I was trying to show Dad how to work my camera while we were outside during the blackout. I asked him this morning if he thought it looked like me; he replied that it didn't, but like "...somebody in the movies someplace...some spooky guy." Boris Karloff was the name that immediately came to mind when I saw first saw the photo; at least my eyes aren't bloodshot (or maybe that would have upped the creepiness factor). So here's some spooky guy wishing you all an early Happy Halloween.

Boogie-rific Update: Not sure why music that was cheesy thirty-five years ago is now considered "cool" by some of the younger crowd; went into one of the local music stores this afternoon to be aurally assaulted with disco tunes like "Boogie Shoes", "You Sexy Thing" and "Boogie Wonderland" (yes, the word "boogie" was inexplicably omnipresent during that time; if you have to ask, you'll never know). The last tune gave me one of the worst earworms ever: "Ah...ah...AHHH!!" The real shame about it is that I recognized every tune within the first few seconds. Damn twenty-something hipsters and their ironic tastes...if they're looking for some truly terrible popular songs from that time, why no love for "Muskrat Love", "You Light Up My Life" or "Convoy"?

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Really, "You Light Up My Life" ? Ugh. I vote "Convoy".

All I know is, I'm so glad I pluck my eyebrows. You see, I see those same eyebrows on my Dad, and I just know that if I don't pluck, mine would look like that too. ;P

Unknown said...

"Convoy" was one of those cultural phenomenons of the time that a wide spectrum of people seemingly hated, yet it was still popular and made bank. I don't know enough about what's going on now to say if there's anything comparable. The '70s were truly special.

Don't knock the brows. :-p I *do* trim them, believe it or don't. They'd be much wilder if I didn't make an effort to keep them under control.

Re: comment on other post about keeping your delusions: It's a deal. :-)

Post a Comment