Wednesday, December 12, 2012

That Meditation Stuff'll Make You Go Blind: Appointment with my regular doctor in Junction City (a.k.a. the landlocked Tortuga of Willamette Valley) today about my high blood pressure; now I have another pill to take daily (Carvedilol, a beta blocker, for those interested). Counting on it not only lowering my BP but  am hoping it alleviates the facial flushing, too, which has been popping up more often of late.

Saw my "buddy" the JC Rocker on the way in. Had my camera with me, but since it was early, wasn't expecting him to be out head-banging on the main drag so I was caught off-guard. Saw him in a classic hesher pose, too; can only describe it as a "reverse hi-lo double-devil sign semi-vomit face with a raised leg". Unfortunately, it had started to rain when I was leaving town so he was long gone by the time I had my camera out.

Been attempting to meditate after a twenty-year gap with limited success; I did almost fall asleep while trying the other day but that might have been attributable to the lack of sleep from the previous night. Beginning to think that I like the chatter in my head more than I care to admit.

Talked a little about chemo brain at last Monday's meeting. I've had some issues with memory before (and since) the start of my treatment but I chalk that up to the mental stress of my diagnosis. It's been nothing major, but I do notice that I sometimes drop words when I write e-mails and blog posts, for example.

Panorama shot of the reservoir from Orchard Point today:


Yes, another "path perspective" shot. I'm nothing if not predictable.

Also as of today, I'm the proud owner of a new weather-resistant jacket, so I won't freeze quite as badly during my walks. (Got the old one in early 2006 and it's mostly still okay, but I needed something more insulated than a simple shell.) Going to find somewhere new to walk this weekend even if it snows on me.

Update: Doc suggested during the appointment that I start by taking half of one 12.5 mg Carvedilol twice daily and check my blood pressure after four to seven days; if it didn't improve by then, he'd have me bump up the dosage. Took two halves of one pill about five hours apart today, then checked my BP just for a giggle: 126/86, quite a drop from what it was at the office today (can't remember the exact figure, but it was somewhere around 145/100). The pharmacist told me this afternoon that drowsiness is a possible but unlikely side effect for Carvedilol, but "everyone's different"; of course, I fell asleep earlier tonight for about half an hour. Predictably unpredictable...

Thursday Morning: While trying out the new jacket this morning...


No comments:

Post a Comment