Sunday, December 16, 2012

Impromptu: Set off this morning in search of an interesting walk. Originally, my plan was to stick close to home because of the rainy weather, but while in the car, got a wild urge to find somewhere new and thought of Spencer Butte. I've been to the Cascade Raptor Center on the butte but it's been a few years; still, thought that it'd be easy enough to find. After all, how can you miss a prominent landmark?

So...after failing to remember which exit off I-5 is the right one (passed by the Denny's featured in this movie...always say to myself, "I want you to hold it between your knees" in my best Nicholson voice when I do), I finally ended up on Fox Hollow Road, the way to the Raptor Center. Passed a trail head before I knew it; according to one of the on-line guides, there are "numerous" trails on the butte so I wasn't too concerned.

After a half-hour of driving later without seeing any other trail markers, realized that I was lost in the wilds south of Eugene. It's a much different area only a few miles from "civilization"; you could have told me that I was in a much more remote part of the state and I would have believed you. Finally found a street name that I recognized and turned on to it to head back to town. Thought of being in the San Fernando Valley, where streets stretch for miles and miles ("You mean, we're still on Vanowen?"); apparently, we have something analogous here in Eugene.

Still wanted to get out and walk so I headed to Hendricks Park again; was just there a couple of weeks ago but some of the trails can be steep (wanted something with a bit of an incline today), so it was a tolerable second choice.

Called Dad to let him know that I'd be later than I anticipated. As usual when I check in with him when I'm away from home, almost the first words out of his mouth are, "What's wrong?" Told him, in effect, please stop, that it's much too late for the overly concerned parent act. The next person who does something like this to me (including what I call "the silent stare of concern") is going to get punched in the junk.

Now that that's off my chest, here's a photo or three:

Bit of a view of Eugene from over one of the water tanks at the park. Always thought that there were some decent views of the city from Hendricks, but this was about the best that I could manage today.


Not sure if I've ever noticed this before, but that green growth on the upper branches of many of the trees in the park? Ferns, of all things. (Hey, I think it's cool.)


Tip to fellow amateur photographers: Selecting the appropriate timer setting is a must; usually I set it for ten seconds when I attempt to include myself in the shot, but this time I goofed mightily and set it to two seconds without realizing it. Wonder if Ansel Adams ever had this problem...

"Yo, Adrian...wait'll I turn all the way around next time, will ya?"
Blood pressure seems to be holding at around 130/90; looks like I'll be able to get by on one 12.5 mg pill a day. Call me odd, but I like the idea of keeping the dosage of anything to an absolute minimum.

Next chemotherapy treatment (fourth) is tomorrow...

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Silent stare of concern...Wish I could do that over the phone...just because I want to be punched in the junk!! Yeah! Fist pump!

Now that I'm passed the excitement of that.... Ferns on the upper branches of the trees??? Guess I wouldn't have thought them ferns. How strange.

Unknown said...

Be apprised that we here at Tom's Electro-Boogie Psychotic Wonderland are equal opportunity junk punchers and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion or gender. For those who prefer to be *kicked* in the junk, I have access to a neighbor's mule.

Moss and vines (ivy and poison oak) I see high up in trees quite frequently, but I don't think I've ever seen ferns growing out of branches before. Thought it unusual.

Post a Comment