Come On-a My House: Chalk up another major fail in the area of equipment/major appliances in the Whelan household during the last three months; this time, it's the pump for the well. Awoke this morning to hear Dad on the phone to the business that sells/services these things, saying, "I called you folks an hour ago!" No return calls as of 1:00 PM. Seems that it's hard to reach a service person on the weekend (go figure). He just made a third call a few minutes ago and used the word, "desperate." Wouldn't go so far as to say that yet, but I can see it getting quite disgusting around here before the weekend's over.
Neighbors gave me the opportunity to use their shower this morning, for which I'm grateful, so at least I'm not too stinky. Still...being stuck in East Bejeebus without easy access to potable water is the pits, even for a day or two.
Taking bets on what's going to happen next: falling meteorites damage the house, rampaging livestock trample me in a mad rush for carrots, I end up in front of a firing squad in a previously-unknown South American country, I find a family of irukandji jellyfish living in the toilet while I'm using it, sinkholes in the driveway, etc., etc.
Ready for much less excitement around here, in other words...
Update: Water back on as of 4:30 PM (pump had a faulty check valve). As far as disasters go, this one didn't quite rate. Glad we didn't have to resort to washing dishes in ditch water, nonetheless.
Still going to look out for irukandji in the toilet bowl, though...
Update to the Update: A humble haiku:
Check valve fixed, and yet
Water from tap is still brown
Hours later. Bastard!
Usually when the pump is out of commission for any length of time, it takes a short period of time for the filtration to fully work again. It's been about seven hours now and cold water from the tap looks like it's being drained from the Black Lagoon. Warm water looks mostly clear, oddly enough.
Expecting to not only feel stings on my backside tomorrow morning, but also get shot by a firing squad as I fall in a sinkhole while a meteorite crushes me...
1 comment:
Our check valve went out a good two or three times before the pump actually gave out. The guy who helped us replace the pump, told us that there's usually a short in the pump itself causing the valve to sizzle out... I'd keep some water about just in case! They don't like to tell you that bit of news, cause they want your business when it does go! It's a conspiracy of the pump widgets...Evil little suckers that like to snack on your backside most of the time while your slipping through the magic wonderhole of toilet water... I'd fear them.
You're so funny. Like the haiku.
Post a Comment