Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pump Off, Side Effects: End of the 10th session yesterday of Chemo 2.0 yesterday. Two more to go for this course of treatment; I hope I get some sort of certificate of achievement when I finish this round.

I've detailed most of the more prominent side effects during my time in treatment; there's a hierarchy of symptoms from worst (nausea, general feeling of being "unwell", neuropathy, etc.) to moderate (blood pressure spike on chemo days, sleeplessness, persistent nose bleeds, etc.) to least (odd taste sensations, hair loss, etc.). Dad asked me last night about side effects from chemotherapy (I forget how this came up), and I ran down the list for him, from most to least dramatic. He just stared at me for a moment, open-mouthed. It hasn't been a cake walk, but I've seen and heard of much worse.

Some other little symptoms come and go (or stay), too. For example, I noticed a few weeks ago that I've lost patches of hair on my body, to match the hair loss on my head; the oddest of these spots is the matching, symmetrical pattens on the outside of my calves. Looks slightly kinky. About a month ago, I went through a two-week period where I absolutely craved orange juice and citrus fruits. Now, morning coffee is beginning to completely disgust me (I still can drink tea). I've tried drinking French press and espresso and I find these palatable (maybe because they're oilier), but home drip-style coffeemakers...yeeech. I never thought anything would break my addiction to coffee, but chemo has as good a chance as anything.

Not feeling the greatest this morning, but I plan to get outside for some exercise shortly. Maybe a few pictures will materialize later this afternoon...

Update: The botanical garden portion of Hendricks Park (my favorite park in the Eugene area) was closed due to damage from the ice storm earlier this month. So...off to Skinner Butte.




I'm almost never without a noisemaker of some sort (it's a wonder I haven't driven Barbara nuts yet). I'd swear this playing this thumb piano helps me overcome the neuropathy in my hands a little, too. Serenaded the open air for a few minutes (I needed the rest) then went down the south trail.

Ended up napping for a couple of hours after I got home. Thursdays following chemo tend to be the days when I feel my energy level is at its lowest, but activity always helps overcome the worst of it.

Late in the day and the sky outside is sunny and nearly cloud-free. Would have liked some of that during my walk...

5 comments:

plaidmojo said...

its a weird thing that you are having food cravings and flavor favorite switcheroo. I think you are pregnant. ;)
and I you don't really make that much noise.. must make Hello Kitty Thumb piano. and the Uke. :D

Unknown said...

I've heard others describe food as tasting like "cardboard" during chemo, but never anyone having any sort of food craving.

The sudden dislike for coffee surprises me; I can take it when it's in an espresso drink or when I use a French press, but the stuff standard drip-style home coffeemakers is both bland *and* acidic. Might be more pronounced during my chemo days; I'll have to experiment.

If anything I do music-wise gets to you, I'd imagine it'd be my off-key warbling of tacky '70s "hits". Be grateful I don't own a banjo.

Still have that ukulele project rattling around in my head...

Eliza said...

To be brutally honest, I always found drip coffee to be bland and acidic...

Think about what stuff is in the food you are craving... maybe it's a reaction to losing nutrients.... or whatever that food might have in it... including grease and/or spice.... :-)

Playing instruments is good therapy for neuropathy... my mom crocheted and did other needlework...

I know someone who is selling a banjo... :-) (really, I don't... but I bet I do and don't know it...)

Unknown said...

Re: Bland/acidic: There are degrees. :-) But yeah, most of the time, it gets the job done. Not lately, though.

I did think about what the cravings might imply. I've cut back on the citrus fruits, but still eat some daily. For a while, there, though, it was like I couldn't get enough.

Re: Banjo: I have an accordion, that's nerdy enough.

plaidmojo said...

You have more than one accordion.. your nerdy level is higher than you know.. :)
And soon you should make your own Ukelele.. :)

Post a Comment