Monday, February 24, 2014

Parking Lot Cookie-Toss: No, not me, thankfully. But just as I was leaving after my treatment at the center today, I saw an older man lose his lunch in the parking lot ("His hair was perfect...ah-wooo..."). Fairly revolting, to be sure, but he quickly walked away, got into his car and drove away. It was one of those moments where I couldn't decide whether to ask someone if they needed help or to run as fast as I could in the other direction.

Needless to say, chemo is rougher on some people than on others. And yes, I've seen a number of strange things during my treatment.

As for me...again, the current report seems good. The doc says that all indications are that my tumors are shrinking and that I'm tolerating this round of treatment "really well". It's early to say definitively, but I'm feeling not so bad right now, so I'm hoping this round is on the mild side. But things could change.

On the less positive side, the financial office called me in this morning to say that I was once again turned down for OHP (Oregon Health Plan, i.e., Medicaid). I do have insurance now, which is an enormous help, so my responsibility will be "x" instead of four times "x". It's crazy...not as crazy as it could be (recall that $400K figure I mentioned in post from last year), but still...

Other stuff: Zoey is a delightful little spaz. I do wish she wouldn't meow from the front room for me to play with her in the middle of the night, though.

Dad's decided that he wants to move. I'm okay with this; the place has become too much for me to take care of on my own. It helps that Dad's mood has improved quite a bit since he decided this (he was pretty down and lethargic for a few months; he admitted to me that he was tired and concerned about various issues re: the property). The recent ice storm and resulting tree damage has underscored this, big time; there's just too much around here for me to do on my own. We have a call into the electric co-op to trim/remove the downed trees in the front, but they're rather backed up with work right now.

Hope the semi-humorous "photo essay" of the last post was appreciated; now that the weather's improving, I intend to get outside and take many more photos.

So...that's it for the moment. Going to think about making dinner for Dad and myself, then plan to kick back for the night.

5 comments:

Eliza said...

Any thought about where he (you) might be moving to? I'm assuming closer into town. Deep Breath... all will be well.

Great news! I'm glad they think things are going well! See!! :-) It's gonna be awe-righ...

Unknown said...

Dad has an idea...it'd definitely be in the area. I'm more than okay with the thought of leaving here, even though I'll miss it.

Yeah, I'm happy, in a reserved way. The doc seemed on the positive side today, less cautious than is his usual. "Keep positive", he said, and not in grim way.

Eliza said...

That must feel pretty good to not have the grim...

Well, we have a trailer and at least one free weekend between here and September :-) I know you will miss it, but I bet the relief of knowing that you don't have to take care of all that will out weigh it.. You can find a lovely over grown garden and fix it up... oh... wait... you already have :-)

Unknown said...

"Grim" wasn't quite the word I was searching for, but...yes, it does feel good to get a fairly positive vibe from the doc.

Re: Trailer: Heh. Hoping the move doesn't come to that. Yes, I'll miss a number of aspects of rural life, but the time has come.

Planning on moving a few plants from the garden over to Barb's...

Eliza said...

You can always donate plants you want to visit... :-)

Post a Comment