Late Last Night, at the Tiki Bar...: I was going to talk about how I'm treating my intermittent nausea, given that the Lorazepam/Ativan isn't doing me much good. I've tried eating slices of pickled ginger and while this method helped initially, the effects of the last treatment have been more than I've able to handle in this way. So...I've, ahem, turned to the use of cannabis products.
On the plus side (and it's a big one), it does help with the nausea, as in, eliminates it entirely. I won't lie and say that I don't enjoy the feeling, either, at least when it's not too strong or persistent. Plus, it makes listening to Dad's stories for the umpteenth time much easier, ha ha. (Family members: imagine hearing the infamous "circumcision story" while under the influence...)
Some of the side effects I'm not too crazy about include the increase in hunger and the disassociation that persists for a few hours. I don't leave the house afterward, so don't worry...but still, the feeling can outgrow its welcome pretty quickly. There's stuff to do around the homestead, correspondence to attend to, etc.
I did tell Dad what I was doing; to his credit, he was very accepting. "Does it help?", he asked. I told him it did, and he replied that I should do anything I need to do
to feeling better. Of course, there's always the chance that he'll forget by the time next week rolls around...we did have a brief talk Tuesday afternoon about his questions about its effects in comparison to alcohol, while feeling "slightly pleasant", naturally (I don't think he knew). You'd have to know Dad as I do to appreciate just how surreal and too ridiculous to be believed this was.
Yes, going to make the effort to get a medical card so that my use under the law is officially legitimate. My patient navigator said that it shouldn't be a problem asking my oncologist about it.

4 comments:
stoner.. look at that photo.. hahahha!
You there in the Peanut Gallery...pipe down!
I believe that the use of controlled substances in the infusion room is strictly regulated. At any rate, I was not under the influence of anything other than the chemo drugs during the taking of this photo. Otherwise, the scarf would have been tye-dye.
Please, no one get me anything tye-dye. Really.
Oh, you've done it now! TIE-DYE ALL AROUND!
I"m glad you have found something that works. I'm sorry that it's still got side effects, but at least they aren't horrible.
Hair loss, i am told, is a good sign, really..
Haha, really...no tie-dye. :-) But I will accept a pair of granny glasses with purple lenses (maybe even a lava lamp).
As for the hair loss, I do consider it a positive sign, as if it's an indication that the faster growing cells in my body are taking a major hit (which is what chemotherapy is meant to do). I'm trying to look upon the nausea in the same fashion, but I'm having a little trouble with that concept at the moment.
Post a Comment