I was given absolutely no warning about how tough the chemotherapy/infusion process would be beforehand. I've mentioned to a few people after the fact that the week of chemo before the infusion was like having my previous six-month experiences of chemo squeezed into one week of awfulness; somewhat of an exaggeration, but I experienced a few absolutely "dreadful" (the word one of the nurses used) days during that part of the treatment.
Aside from the near-complete energy drain, I ended up losing all my hair again (you could probably tell from the picture I posted last time) in less than two days. My immune system went and took my hair with it. I also lost about ten percent of my body mass.
The lymphocytes in all their glory
I ended up in the ICU for a few days not too long after this. IL2 has a lot of side effects, and I think I got just about every one: rashes, shortness of breath, uncontrollable shaking, mental confusion, etc. The docs would regularly check me for the latter by asking me simple questions like my name, birthday etc. I know I responded once that I was born in 2014; I'm fairly certain that I ended up in the ICU shortly after that.
Barb and I were guessing that my operation over the summer would probably run into the six figures if it were done privately; I casually mentioned this to one of the nurses during my stay, and she responded, no, likely not quite that much. "The research, chemo, and cell infusion...oh, this current visit is easily running into the six figures." Call me one expensive Guinea pig.

5 comments:
I've been telling people that you had 3 months of Chemo in one week. Every one is suitably impressed.
Give yourself a break and let the energy come back as it will. You can't really make it come any faster anyway other than generally taking care of yourself. Don't push it. (not that I would listen to that either).
Quite the ordeal. I'm glad you are on this side of it...
I am taking it slowly; I don't have too much of a choice right now.
and I'm terribly mean and watching you like a Hawk. "sit. stop doing that! go take a nap." Wifey Despotic Naging...
Truly though, you are improving. .. may not feel like it but you are.
Yeah... now the 'stop doing that' is for movement and not mindlessly flipping through channels... and 'go take a nap' means you are awake for more than 30 minutes at a time :-)
On the other hand... you can keep track of wifey points and use them for a shiny new accordion soon... :-)
Post a Comment