100th: Yes, finally. Didn't deliberately mean to post something like that and ditch the blog. Last week was a combination of administrative stuff and not feeling well for a few days, so other things were on my mind.
And yes, in the middle of the eighth treatment. It's moderate, as far as these have been going. Some bad feelings, but not like last time.
My (much) better half and I have a euphemism I've referenced before in a post title: the Tiki Bar. Without mincing words, it's when I over self-medicate and end up in a bizarre spot mentally and emotionally. The first time it happened, I imagined myself caught in a some tiki-themed cellar bar; lots of straw and wicker and day-glo colored drinks in odd-shaped glasses (I was listening to some off-the-wall music, too, which added to the ambiance). The term's stuck. Sometimes the visit's a little cool, like riding a gentle wave of spaciness; most times, though, the thoughts get moody and the atmosphere is decidedly unfriendly. (I now have a pile of CDs I can't listen to anymore because they help trigger the less-positive feelings.) I try not to push the medication to this point, but it's tricky; I want the nausea and general "blech" feeling diminished but I don't want to take my chances on stepping inside the Tiki Bar. As I said, it can be fun, but usually...it's not. Yesterday's step inside wasn't as bad as it's been but my mood did spiral downwards for a couple of hours. It can be a trade-off for me: either feel bad physically or feel bad emotionally.
Monday morning's appointment with the oncologist felt like an odd mix of hope and resignation. He says I'm doing well, am doing "great" at handling the chemo but then mentions future treatments after my next scan (which will be at the end of March at the earliest, I think). It's a little rough to think about right now.
In other news, we've adopted a cat. Closer to being a kitten, really; she's been here since Wednesday night and is slowly making herself at home. No, haven't thought of a name for her yet, so suggestions welcome. She's a little shy, but is affectionate, playful and completely adorable (and took to the litter box quickly, which was an enormous relief). Dad seems to get a kick out of having a pet again after about three years so that's a huge plus to me, but I do wish he'd stop calling her by our last cat's name.
So...my hundredth post. I was planning something special, a blog-themed giveaway of some sort but last week happened. I do like the idea of it, though, so here goes: first respondent to my gmail address (twh3lan at gmail dot com) gets...something with the blog title or maybe even "Tom's Subterranean Tiki Bar" if your sense of humor is as twisted as mine (possibly a shirt, cards, or a calender; consider it negotiable).
.jpg)
3 comments:
And...contest over as of 6:37 PM. Thanks for reading!
crap! I want a tiki bar themed thingy. Look at those cute eyes new pet has~ she needs a great name.. Cleopatra? no been done too much.. Boudica? Calamity Jane? Sehkmet?
Tom's Tiki Bar-themed thingy it is. T-shirt, print or...?
I have choked on the cuteness that emanates from our new pet. Just look at her! :-) She does indeed need a great name, which why I'm having such trouble picking something....
Post a Comment