Monday, October 21, 2013

Start of the Second Treatment: Sorry to have left everyone hanging, but apparently the center didn't get my drugs in until last Friday. I have a lackadaisical laid-back attitude to most things these days (*most* things, not quite everything), so I didn't fret too much about it (call it the gentle reformation of a "quiet Type A" personality). No real news, so no updates during that time. Plus, busy having more fun and enjoyment than this old reprobate deserves. Life is being exceptionally good to me right now, despite my current troubles.

So I'm on a different drug this time...the oncologist suggested either the same one I was on last time or a different one and I made the decision to try something new. Supposedly I won't suffer any increase in my lingering neuropathy but may experience some diarrhea (they say, "some", which translates to me as "impressive, propulsive and outrageous"). We'll see.

My blood work was typically good today. Currently feeling a touch tired and experiencing something approaching nausea plus a bit of a headache. I look a little pale and have a slight odd taste in the mouth, too. Yes, I'm on the "home version" again (i.e., the pump) until Wednesday afternoon.

The center's infusion room wasn't at all busy today, unlike just about every other time I've seen it; maybe half-full, I'm guessing.

Saw a couple of younger patients (early 20s) in there today; they both seemed in good spirits (one was dressed as an anime character, wearing a white furry hood and matching tail...guess he got a lot of strange looks from the mostly older patients but my feeling is, more power to you, kid) but it does prevent me from feeling too sorry for myself. Can't imagine with having to deal with cancer at that young of an age.

Okay...out for a day or so. Probably check in on Wednesday after the pump is off, if I'm not too busy in the restroom then.

Ten o'clock Update: I seem to recall the first treatment last time as being the absolute worst. Right now, I'm still experiencing that slight headache and sweating a bit at times, overlaid with an odd feeling of malaise...on the plus side, I have managed to settle my stomach with a little cereal. None of that unmentionable stuff I was warned about, at least so far. But yeah, my body seems to be saying, "Help! Help! I'm being poisoned!" It's all for a good cause, naturally.

7:00 AM Update: Forgot about the effects of the steroid...yow! Not the most restful sleep I've ever had, despite having with a sexy new pillowcase to guide me off to Slumberland. Ended up taking another Carvedilol at around 2AM because listening to my heart pound was preventing me from falling asleep. It did help me relax, at least for awhile. I'm not experiencing the racing pulse anymore, but am feeling both exhausted and wide awake. Adjust, body, adjust...

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Ah dude! I'm so sorry... I hope you are being well taken care of.

Good thoughts!

Unknown said...

Yes, being well looked after, thank you. :-)

Post a Comment