The doc also mentioned that the lack of result from the NIH trial wasn't that uncommon, and told me that he knew of someone else who seemed to be a perfect candidate but had absolutely no benefit from the experience. He said that it's likely that the immune system destroyed the beneficial cells before they had a chance to attack the tumors. Unfortunately, this is right at the frontier of medicine's current knowledge and remains a mystery as to why there was anything left to rid the body of the introduced cells after all the T-cells were allegedly destroyed.
I'm still in a huge amount of pain from my back/neck troubles, but at least we have a partial diagnosis: a compressed (pinched) nerve in my neck. I see a specialist next week; hoping that he'll be able to do something for me sooner rather than later (this has been going on for over five months now and I'm just about at my wit's end over it).
Hope to report something positive next week about my back in particular, and about my treatment in general.
5 comments:
I'm glad that your oncologist seemed not depressed about it.
Is there a 'place' that all the studies are listed? Just curious.
What kind of specialist are you going to see?
It was a blow that you went through all that and it didn't work- with no "reason". But there are others out there. RE: there is websites that list trials and you can search them, however they are more "science-y" than I was able to interpret easily when I was looking up the first trial.. but there is information out there. I think I googled and then found links from legit Cancer society webpages.
The specialist is actually a pain management specialist. Many Many fingers crossed that he can have a solution for the compressed nerve pain. Dr Kosek and the Pain Society of Oregon.
Thanks for responding to E., Barb. I should mention that I don't always respond in a timely manner to folks because, well, I'm flat on my back for most of the day. This neck/back problem has really thrown me for a loop.
This probably isn't the place, but please see Dr D before you getting into stuff that's going to mess with your system. It's expensive, but better than another surgery...
I'll be blunt: I didn't think much of Sr. D.'s treatment. Nice guy, but....
Post a Comment