Willamette Valley – Providence - ?: Had an appointment with
my oncologist early Monday afternoon. I was scheduled to begin another round of
chemotherapy Tuesday, but his advice was to continue to pursue a path that
would lead to a clinical trial involving immunotherapy. Treating my cancer in
the traditional ways (i.e., chemo, mostly) would give me another one to three
years at best, in his opinion, and he thinks that another therapy would be my
best chance at getting the tumors under control. I agreed. I wasn't looking
forward to more controlled poisoning and its myriad side effects, and the doc's
attitude was that this was my window of opportunity to seek another type of
treatment, given how well I'm currently doing.
Since the study in Portland seems to be out for the
immediate future (they called late that afternoon to tell me that the open spots
in the trial were filled), the center and I are starting to look for another
trial elsewhere. Of course, Providence isn't completely ruled out (I was told
by the clinical trial nurse that more spots were opening later this month, but
we're trying to determine the likelihood of that happening…my doc seemed deeply
frustrated with the folks at Providence for several reasons), but trying
another research facility elsewhere might be the solution.
More when there's progress to report.
4 comments:
ugh. fingers crossed for the trial on tap. hurry up and wait for info...
The situation is maddening and deeply stressful. I'm finding it almost as challenging as the immediate period after I found out I had cancer.
Providence let me know this morning that the spots in the trial were definitely filled, and that the likelihood of me getting in should more spots be "awarded" in the week of 7/23 was low.
Waiting to hear about another study elsewhere...
I'm sorry this is such a cluster... American Medical system.... Bah!
Best of thoughts for you!
Thanks, E.! In one way, I can understand the screening process and limiting participation in these trials (initially, at least...they want to see how the drugs perform in real-world situations), but...it's almost like hearing, "Hey! We found something that might cure you! But you can't have it because there's a huge wait!" Or, "You're not quite sick enough yet! Let's wait a few months!"
Post a Comment