Wednesday, June 25, 2014


Providence – Portland: It's late, I'm tired after driving five or so hours today, but I thought that I'd post a little about today's appointment in Portland with the oncologist in charge of the clinical trial.  I can't say that it was too much different than the routine meetings with my local oncologist, but I wanted to show that I was interested in being considered for one of the studies conducted at Providence. He wasn't too positive about me getting into something right away (a few months was his thinking), which would mean another bout of chemotherapy in the interim (with the same cocktail I had during my first regimen: Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Bevacizumab (known under its trade name Avastin) plus the usual host of anti-nausea medicine and steroids). Foregoing treatment isn't a question to me; I'm not thrilled, but I'll do another round rather than not have any sort of treatment.

The clinical trial involves the use of two immunotherapy drugs (one that's been FDA-approved for treatment of melanoma, the second is a new drug and the focus of the study). The observed side effects are supposed to be minimal (so far), because the drugs act on the immune system, in contrast with chemotherapy, which is a sort of poisoning that targets fast-growing cells. 

[Oncologists and nurses tend to rattle off bizarre-sounding drug names; it took me months to get a handle on some of the ones used during my treatment.  Today I managed to learn something about the names of the drugs: if it ends in –mab, it’s a type of drug that stimulates or activates a certain aspect of the immune system (an immunotherapy drug, in other words). So Bevacizumab falls into this category, but unlike the drugs in this study, it's only effective in concert with other chemotherapy drugs.] 

After the meeting the oncologist, he introduced me to their study nurse. She was a little more upbeat about my chances of getting in before too long and said that there may be reasons that those ahead of me might not be eligible (whether they're on another type of treatment, don't meet the conditions of the study, etc.). As I was leaving, she said something to the effect that she very much hopes that I'm able to get into the clinical trial. That makes two of us. Both the doc and the nurse seemed very open to having me contact them if I had any questions. 

I asked about the progress that patients in the trial were making, and was told by each of them that it was too soon to really tell, but initial results look positive. They both seemed impressed that I drove from Eugene to Portland for a chance to take part in the trial. Yes, trying to show that I'm eager to do this (not sure if it'll help, but it can't hurt, I feel). Either way, I won't know until July 1st. 

Before I left, I was given a copy of the “informed consent form” (I skimmed it…it's 26 pages!) and a folder full of info particular to colon cancer (which I have yet to look through). Going to contact Willamette Valley tomorrow to let them know that I might be a frequent visitor again...

4 comments:

Eliza said...

I'm sorry it wasn't a magic 'you are IN!' but at least they didn't say no... You have a lot of people pulling for you...

Unknown said...

Yes, there's still a chance for next month...can't say that I'm getting my hopes up, though.

Eliza said...

Well... next month is about 4 days away... maybe the good news will come then.

Unknown said...

Still waiting. Put in a call to Providence yesterday and have yet to hear back as of Wednesday morning.

Willamette Valley called me last Friday to schedule a chemo session (which would be for next Tuesday), in the event that I didn't get into the study.

Post a Comment