Thursday, May 8, 2014

Psst...: I've attempted to disable the RSS feed for the blog; if you've signed up for e-mail alerts and are still getting this post as an update, please let me know (or, just block the feed in your e-mail account). I don't want anyone receiving updates if they're no longer wanted.

I've only recently started to get my energy back after the end of the second course of treatment. As late as the week before last, I still had days where getting up out of the computer chair and accomplishing anything was a real effort. Just two weeks ago, mowing the front lawn took me about an hour (it's small). I've improved quite a bit since then, thankfully.

It's been a busy couple of weeks.  During the last weeks of chemo, Dad kept after me to get the ball rolling on listing his house for sale and moving him into something smaller and more manageable. Now that I've started on this, a number of other issues have come up, the most pressing being a recurring health problem for him (diverticulosis; bowel inflammation, to put it simply). No antibiotics or treatment, but he was told to eat a bland diet and get some rest.

Other stuff of late: Trying to get Dad's truck fixed without spending more than the thing is worth; taking him around to various potential living places (assisted living facilities, trailer parks, etc.); initiating contact with a realtor; assessing what needs to be done around the property to make it more attractive (and still keeping the list practical); etc., etc.

Oh, yeah, this: I turned myself in to the local Adult Protective Services last week for alleged "elder neglect" as a proactive (and yes, those of you who know me best know I hate that word) measure against charges of this sort against me. A social worker came out here yesterday and checked out the situation; think he spent about a half an hour talking with Dad (I was here but outside), evaluating his level of mental competency, how well he's able to take care of himself, etc. The worker came out afterward to talk with me and said that he didn't see a problem with the situation and that he was closing the case. He did say that an evaluator would be out here within a couple of weeks to assess what would be best for Dad; I agreed that it'd be a big help in deciding the next course of action.

So...that's what's going on.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

I think it will be good to get another set of eyes in the situation. :-) I'm glad you have gotten some energy back. Give yourself a break... that's some powerful stuff you've been through...

plaidmojo said...

what's wrong with the word proactive??

Post a Comment