Friday, July 26, 2013

Check-up: It's been a while, hasn't it? Time for an update.

Just got back from an appointment at the center this afternoon. They ran lab tests on me a couple of weeks ago and today was the follow-up. In short, all my numbers are normal, so things are looking good from this perspective. I'm feeling really well. Not experiencing any pain, but still have some fatigue after what I'd consider to be moderate physical exertion, which is supposed to be typical after the rigors chemotherapy. I do still have neuropathy in my feet and fingers, but it's lessened after peaking for a few weeks in late May and June. I had shooting pains in my feet at times and lost my balance on occasion, but no longer. Thankful that I can type relatively normally again (for a time, it looked like I was trying to type with mittens on...still make some mistakes, but not like a month ago).

I had the doctor schedule a CT late next month. Why not sooner? Well...finances, mostly. I feel I can't complain too much; there are people in worse situations, but still...long-term assistance seems beyond reach at this point.

I've written and deleted prospective rants about health care costs more than once and have decided it's ultimately pointless to post anything on the topic. I will say that the few other patients I have talked with about their costs have admitted to bills in the tens of thousands, and they were fully insured. Don't get cancer; it'll really, truly put the hurt on your bank balance.

[To those who consider themselves of the
"Conservative/Libertarian" persuasion: the one chemotherapy drug alone was in the neighborhood of $80,000 for six months worth of treatment. I didn't have this kind of money on hand; please tell me, Limbaugh/Beck/Fox News/Rand fans...shouldn't the cancer center have refused to treat me? "Sorry, Patient X...we could treat you, but..."

I'd lie and say that I'm not trying to make anyone uncomfortable, but I'm incredibly tired of the idiocy that comes from the mouths of people trying their best to be walking Dunning-Kruger effects. Honestly, I never thought that I'd be caught up in this situation. Maybe there's a solution that doesn't involve putting people through considerable financial strain?

Paraphrasing an anonymous poster on a message board I read: "We already have 'death panels'. They're called 'insurance companies'."]

All right...that bit over, I will say that I'm enjoying the summer. Feeling well, getting outside, making some short trips...good stuff.

Off for a bit again.

5 comments:

Eliza said...

I can understand your frustration.

In Canada, when they give you the Chemo Pill they put you in a lead lined room for 3 days with staff in protective gear. This is paid for by the National Health Insurance. In the US, they send you home with instructions to 'use different towels' and 'flush the toilet several times' and charge $20,000 for the pleasure.

I wonder if this is what it felt like when the Roman Civilization was crumbling. The smart and powerless looking around watching the stupidity and greed take over. If my degree in History has done anything, it has taught me that there are cycles in human society. There will always be rich, stupid people in charge at some level and there will always be the disenfranchised herd of humanity. But those of us who are aware... I wonder if it felt the same...

Eliza said...

OH! and.... WAY more importantly.... WOOHOO!!! I"m glad your tests came back normal. That is FANTASTIC!

Unknown said...

Re: Tests: Yes, it does seem like apparent good news. Trying to err on the side of caution, you understand. :-)

I will say that the doc was very upbeat and positive during the visit, as brief as it was. So...yeah. Going to continue to think good thoughts.

In other news, the center called me today to tell me that they've sent tissue samples to Oregon Health & Science University in Portland re: a possible clinical trial participation. Naturally, this costs money (!), so I had to call OHSU and start the process of pre-screening for financial assistance. Just another moocher/looter/47%-er, that's me.

Do you think that people traded stories at the vomitorium during, say, Caligula's time about "chariot queens" and "strapping young eunuchs" getting free T-bone steaks on Athens' dime?

Unknown said...

And I've been to Canuckistan a few times, so I can tell you that it's a Soviet-style soshulist/fascist hellhole. Polite Commie-Nazis, the lot of 'em.And some of 'em even speak FRENCH!!11!1!

Imagine a snowshoe, stamping on a human face, like forever, eh?

Eliza said...

Complaining about your society has been around since the second week of having a society to complain about. :-)

Post a Comment