Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Is Here: Time to go do stuff outside, even if it's visiting the same old haunts...weather permitting, of course. We had a decent day or two last weekend, but it's been rainy for the better part of this week. Today's weather was on the margins, but I did make it outside for a walk.





During today's walk (5.4 miles), was reflecting on the fact that it's exactly six months since I first learned I had cancer. Hard to find an articulate way to express my thoughts about this.

Some new side effects from chemotherapy have cropped up during the last few weeks. I've been experiencing a spread of the neuropathy into my upper respiratory system, mostly noticeable during treatment and for a few days after. Think of breathing while holding a mouthful of wint-o-green flavored Lifesavers and you'll have an idea. The oncologist keeps warning me that the neuropathy will continue to increase for a time; apparently, this is another aspect of it. Like the effect in my hands and face, it does begin to lessen the farther I get from my treatment session.

A more annoying side effect that I first observed maybe three treatments ago is the muscular ache in my upper back and neck. It starts on Wednesday evening and persists through Friday, peaking on Thursday. At first, I thought I'd strained myself in some way (possible by playing an instrument or lifting something heavy, maybe even sitting in front of the computer too long), so I've been extra-careful about certain activities during my last two sessions, but the pain still paid me a visit last time. The back pain is unremarkable, but the ache in my lower neck is wicked, like having been karate-chopped near the collar bone. Sometimes, the soreness at the base of my neck feels like an invisible pair of hands pressing down (is this a metaphor for much of the last few years of my life or what?). Still, it does pass after a few days so I can't complain too much.

Cut the lawn and parkway on Monday, plus did some digging/clean-up in the garden area. Definitely overdid it, since the work knocked me out for a couple of days. Still much to do outside...at least there's plenty to keep me busy, which isn't a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment